Friday, June 13, 2008

The Investiture Ceremony Speech

Very late....but this is my speech! :)

Every human being has multiple roles to play in life. A girl my age can be a sister, daughter, a friend..
I am honoured and humbled to have another identity- Head Girl of the Hyderabad Public School. Being the representative of around three thousand students- each with great potential- is certainly a privilege. Leadership to me is having a vision that is well communicated, and taking effective action to realize your own leadership potential. As the Girl Representative of the aspirations and dreams of HPS, I am reminded of Mahakavi Subramaniya Bharatiyar, who in 1910 composed this poem envisioning women of India:

"She walks with a raised head
With her eyes looking straight,
She has her principles,
Unafraid of anybody!
She has a lofty and knowledge based pride,
Such cultured women,
Don't falter from the chosen path.
She drives ignorance away.
She welcomes the bliss of life,
With a learned mind.
This is the Dharma
Of the emerging woman."

For me, HPS has been home for more than thirteen years. Every moment spent here has become another story to tell, every experience has made me the person who stands before you. Every unforgettable moment that I have spent here shall remain with me my entire life- joys, sorrows, victories and defeats. HPS has always been my defining identity. It has been and will be a place where there is always freedom of thought, word and action. When I succeeded, teachers and friends encouraged me further. When I stumbled, there weren't many people giving me a 10 point theory on how to overcome failure. I was told that leadership was not about how many times you stumbled and fell, but how fearlessly you picked yourself up and carried on with life's journey. They would watch me dust myself, stand up on my own and rise again. That has been my biggest learning here. HPS has prepared me for any eventuality and taught me how to be vigilant and tough in a fiercely competitive world.

I still remember the time when there were eight class captains in class 1P. My class teacher apparently did that so none of us would feel let down. I remember the time when I was narrator for the Play Sleeping Beauty in class 1 and the time when I won a recitation competition for reciting a poem called 'My Shadow' that my teacher chose for me. Making charts for our classroom and hoping it would go up on the walls remains a cherished memory. Even distributing spoons and forks during lunch in Primary School seemed like a great privilege back then. When we were promoted from Primary School to Middle School, my classmates and I spent time with my craft teacher because we wouldn't have craft classes after class 5. She told us that when we love something, we should be able to do it all by ourselves whenever we wished and be dedicated to the task at hand. I am fortunate to have inspiring teachers like this through the years at school, who've influenced my life in more ways than one and contributed to my being who I am.

I've learnt that it is important
"To dream the impossible dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To bear with unbearable sorrow,
To run where the brave dare not go.

To right the unrightable wrong,
To love pure and chaste from afar,
To try when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star."

The years at Middle School made me believe that I could excel in what I loved doing. The 1st ever Inter-house Music Competitions were held when I was in class 6. I won my first gold medal for music then. Seeing my painting put up in the Senior School Art Exhibition made me feel like I was heir to the genius of Ravi Varma. The first debate I won was in class 7. All these successes seemed like each one was the biggest then. I exercised my first leadership role as prefect in class 8. I realized then that leaders are not born, but made.

Senior School was the most exciting part of the thirteen years I spent here. The play, 'The Fiddler on the Roof' was certainly the highlight. The friends I made, the songs we recorded, the bloopers on stage, everything is still so special.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my sister, parents, teachers and friends for supporting me. I also thank the support staff- especially my ayah amma in pre-primary school who I still talk to today, the art assistant for helping me with all my art work and the bearer at the Lunch Hall who we smile at for extra cutlets every Friday. Thank you HPS for helping me spread my wings and reach greater heights. On behalf of the Prefectorial Board, we promise to be responsible and retain the best possible conduct through the year.

We recognise that we need a spirit of victory, a spirit that will carry us to our rightful place under the sun, a spirit which will recognise that we, as inheritors of a proud tradition, are entitled to a rightful place on this planet. If that indomitable spirit was to arise and we work as a team, nothing can hold us from achieving our rightful destiny.

Thank you.

-Kavyashri C, 12 A
Head Girl and Student Editor.

4 comments:

akaz patel..... said...

such a inspiring speech..... :)

Rohit Menon said...

immma Copy-paste this for my Head Boy Speech 2mmrow Thanks a to n sis u r truly an inspiration. :)

Rohit Menon said...

imma Copy-Paste-modify this for my Head Boy Speech tomorrow!!!!!! Thanks a ton Sis,u r truly inspirational :)

அன்புடன் அருணா said...

A good one !